This has been the ickiest, sickiest, never ending winter that I can recall! UGH!! In my own, non-scientific, opinion, I think it is the crazy weather that is playing the major roll in this. It has been a roller coaster of temperatures all winter long- upper 40's one day, and then in the negatives (with windchill factors) just days later, and then back again. It is like it isn't quite getting cold enough, long enough, to kill of the nasties floating around, and then warms up enough that they think it is time to play- breed, and spread. YUCK!
I can't tell you how many kiddos in our playgroups have been sick. First it was the tummy bug that spread to just about everyone that had been together that week. Then we have had so many colds and other respiratory things among the kids - latest victim was Rhylan's little buddy, Evan, spending 3 days in the hospital this week. (Glad you are home Ev! Rhylan said to tell you that being in the hospital stinks, and he can't wait until you guys can tug on each other's shirts again soon!). So far we have dodged the most recent bullet- pink eye.
We may be safe from the pink eye that is circulating since we aren't able to go to playgroup tomorrow- because, you guessed it, we are dealing with another bout of icky sickies at our house! BLAH. Rhylan was goopey, gunky, snotty, snorty, coughing, and cranky yesterday and today- with a fever. Turns out that he has a double ear infection. So just days after being off of antibiotics from the pneumonia, he is on a different one now, and back on nebulizers for the cough. This is nothing compared to what we were going through 2 weeks ago, but come on, enough already!!
I also got to spend a good portion of my day at the clinic. I had gone to convenient care last night for what was, obviously, a sinus infection that wasn't going to clear without an antibiotic. (Don't you love taking the time, and spending the copay on something you already know is the issue?! I mean it isn't like you can second guess yourself on a sinus infection- it is what it is!) But on top of the sinus-y stuff I have felt like I have a knife jabbed into my right rib cage for the past 3 days- extremely painful, short of breath, but no cough to speak of (and when I do cough, it is very deep, dry, and painful). The convenient care doctor instructed me to go to the ER last night for xrays, but I opted not to. I didn't figure that it was acute/urgent enough to warrant me sitting in a hospital until 3 a.m., so I waited to go to the doctor today. At this point the doctor is waiting for blood work and xrays to come back, but is leaning toward thinking that I have Pleurisy or possibly partial pnuemothorax (fancy term for slightly collapsed portion of the lung)- both of which are not all that serious, just very painful. She is looking into a couple of other things too, just to be safe, but I am not thinking it is any of the other stuff she mentioned.
24+ hours of being on the antibiotic, my sinuses are draining (YAY!), now if I could just get someone to dis-lodge this knife that has been apparently stapped into my ribcage!!!
Can I just say "UGH" one more time?!?!?! I am sure that there are plenty of you reading this that will chime in with me on that one!
1 comment:
Poor Rhylan! I know what you mean about the weather! I totally agree that we just can't seem to get better with the crazy up and down temperatures. It sucks! We have another dr.s appointment this afternoon for Evan.. we'll see! And I am glad to have dodged the pink eye bullet! We're going NOWHERE except appointments.. Joe has been picking Evie up from school... Evan HAS to get better before I get him out and about again. He misses his buddy Rhylan, too, I imagine!
Post a Comment