We had one sick baby here this week! Rhylan had a tummy bug that sent him on a downward spiral pretty quickly. I took him to the doctor on Tuesday because of unrelenting vomiting/other end, fever, lethargy, etc. He was admitted to the hospital due to a 2 lb. weight loss (a lot when you only weigh 18!) and dehydration. Once there, they also found that his blood sugar was really low as a result of being so sick. Poor little guy- it broke my heart to see him like that- I remember the misery all too well; that was me less than a year ago while pregnant w/ him (several times!). Seems he has his mommy's luck- healthy as a horse, but when he does go and get sick, he really does a number!
He was discharged at about 6 o'clock last night after holding down enough liquid that the doctor wasn't worried about his ability to stay hydrated at home, and his personality coming back very spontaneously. YAY! The lab cultures came back that he tested positive for Rotavirus (apparently sends about 70,000 children, under 5, to the hospital each year)- not that it changes how to deal with the situation, but at least we know what it was. And, also on the plus side, usually once a kid gets a case this badly, they are immune to future bouts.
We went for his recheck today, and he is doing wonderfully! You would never know he was sick at all. He has gained back all but 5 oz. of the weight that he lost (all liquid, I am sure), and is back on a normal diet as tolerated. Kids bounce back so quickly, which is terrific!
While at the doctor's she went ahead and did his 9 month check up, which was scheduled for next Thursday anyway. The little man is 29.5 inches - time for the big boy car seat, and 18 lbs. 7 oz. That puts him in the 80th %-tile for height, 12th %-tile for weight. He looks pretty pudgy to us though, and his growth is staying at a consistant rate on the chart.
Here's to a healthy baby! Now to get more of that nice weather that we missed out on this week while couped up. Can't wait to take him to the park, etc.!
(Mommy, this sucks, I am not happy about this in the least!)
(No, really, I mean it- If you love me, you WILL get me out of here!!!)
1 comment:
Oh - I'm so sorry I didn't realise he was in hospital again! Hope that's it for the year for you guys!
Post a Comment