Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quick Update

Thanks to many of you for the calls/emails. It means a lot to know that so many people care and are concerned about our current situation. I am sorry that I haven't been in touch- I have gotten the messages. In all honesty, by the time I wind down enough at night to have a chance to return messages, I am so wiped out (emotionally and physically) that I can't even muster up the energy to carry on a co-herent conversation.

So, I figure since many of our friends and family read this, it would kill many birds with one stone to update a little bit here.

For those of you that weren't aware of the situation, my grandma and grandpa (for all practical purposes) both ended up in the hospital a week and a half ago. Both of them have had rapidly declining health in the past month or so, which was exacerbated by Grandma getting hit with shingles. She had a lot of nerve pain from them, followed by neuropathy, resulting in an inability to care for herself or Joe, and at least 3 falls. She declined to the point that mobility was not even an option because of intense pain, and because of no mobility, her health and nutrition went down hill. Joe has also been ailing, accompanied by shortness of breath and a 50 lb. weight loss.

They both were discharged from the hospital late last week, and are currently in a nursing home rehab program trying to increase strength, endurance, etc., and will be going into long term nursing care after this. Grandma's hip/leg is still in intense pain, and they aren't sure what the source of the pain is. There is no fracture, it is the opposite side of where the shingles had been, so now the doctor is *hoping* it is a bad case of bursitis- and gave her a steroid injection today. We will know in a couple of days if that seemed to help (fingers crossed). Her overall health is bouncing back now with proper nutrition and care. Joe has been diagnosed with very low heart rate, congestive heart failure, and lung cancer- well, 99% sure that it is lung cancer. The PET scan came back showing reactive malignancy, but at his age (almost 93) they aren't following up w/ any further testing because of the risks involved.

This is my dad's mom, so the responsibility falls on me to be the one dealing with the bulk of the situation. My aunt flew in from California, but due to her own husband's health, and the distance, she isn't in the position to do much more than offer advice, support, and so on- which is completely understandable. This week has been a crazy whirlwind of meetings with lawyers, doctors, nursing homes, banks, etc., etc., etc, not to mention emotionally and physically draining. I have had to take over all grandma's finances, and now will have to start clearing out the house and decide if it is more advantageous to use it (a duplex that has a renter on the other side) for rental property, or sell. Words can't even describe what lies ahead in clearing out the house, regardless of what decision is made!

In the meantime, my mom (also my childcare while here) has ended up in the hospital for the past 5 days. She will be released, but will be needing to go to a hospital a couple hours away from here for surgery. That is where she has had here past surgeries for her cancer/pseudo bladder done, so the doctors here want her same doctors there to do the follow up surgery since they are familiar with her situation, and the rarity of the type of reconstruction that she has had done in the past.

So, that is the very, very abridged version of what has been going on with us. I would imagine that I will be here at least another couple of weeks trying to tie up as many loose ends as I can, and then will have to be back pretty frequently.

Never a dull moment for our family! I guess what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger..... at least that is what "they" tell me. I will update when I can. Thank you again for all of the thoughts- I appreciate it!

5 comments:

The Mead's Larry, Teresa and Riley ***** Aggie, Baylee and now Zeek said...

my thoughts and prayers ar with you. if you need anything just call. Teresa

Tina said...

Well I'm glad to be getting the update but so sorry to hear about everyone's failing health.. And dealing with the financial part has got to be a big headache! ANd I wish your Mom felt better!

We're still over here thinking about you so give us a call if anything is needed down here on your homefront with Jason/kids, etc!

Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Kylla,

Thank you for the update! I'm so sorry your family is going through such a hard time! Please let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do for you!

Anonymous said...

You have always been the strongest person I know. You will get through this,you always seem to get through no matter what life give you. You have had more than your fair share.Thinking of you always

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Kylla *hugs*