Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!!!!

After taking last year off due to the birth of a baby in our home, we got back to continuing the Jimmy Buffett concert weekend "event" this year! This has been a tradition for many years now, heading up to one of the greatest outdoor venues in the country, with a group of friends, for some of the most outrageous people watching, and insane amount of fun!
This year Brayden insisted that he wanted to go to the concert. When I told him "no way", he responded with "Why Mommy, I like Buffett, and I wanna go with you!" I explained that it is not a place for kiddos and that he doesn't even know the songs. He responded with "Yes I do Mommy!", and proceeded to sing several of them to me, combined with even having the gestures down pat for "Fins", and then informing me that he really can have a "Cheeseburger in Paradise when I take him on our cruise when he turns 7". (That is a different story entirely, but he has informed us that he and I- no Daddy or brother allowed- are going on a cruise together...... um, that is about as likely as taking my 4 year old to a concert!!)
He and Rhylan did join in some of the fun before the group left to head up there. Our up and coming ParrotHeads!

Rhylan with my lifelong friend, his Godmother, Susan.

Brayden sporting the "Lost Shaker of Salt" shades.


Buffett or Bust!!!!

Jason and I enjoying the drive up to the concert- and the fact that WE were actually getting to spend time together, as a couple, doing something enjoyable. It has been a while since our chaotic lives have allowed for that, and it was a much needed mini vacation for us. (Susan's mom even came to our hotel to babysit the kids, and we spent the night elsewhere, and even got to sleep until almost 11 this morning!!)

If you are not familiar with the experience of a Jimmy Buffett concert, the only way I can think to describe the atmosphere is "over the top". Half of the fun is the tailgating all day before the show. People go to extremes to promote the laidback, fun, carefree atmosphere. Everything from decorating vehicles to look like pirate ships, dressing in grass skirts and coconut bras (men usually!), setting up Tiki Bars, swimming pools, you name it. Our group actually brought our own Potty set up this year to avoid the lines and nastiness of the Porta Potties - While also making a few extra dollars, or acquiring some extra drinks- which we really did not need in any way, shape, or form! (I don't know if you can see it in the picture below of Jason coming out of the potty, but the sign says: "1 Beer or $ Per Potty".)


One more group shot before heading into the concert.

We had a wonderful weekend! Buffett may say "Come Monday, It'll Be Alright", I say I wish it were still Saturday- Monday and reality are going to come all too quickly for us!

No comments: