Seriously, can it be time for me to catch a break with this pregnancy?!?! Now that I have been getting nutrition for over a month, even gained 9 of the 27 lbs. back, have had energy, and have been feeling pretty well (all things considered), the time has come for the other shoe to drop. As of this morning's doctor's appointment, I have officially been placed on strict bed rest for pre-eclampsia (click for more info)! Unbelievable!
My blood pressure has been running freakishly low this entire pregnancy- thanks to the Hyperemesis- hanging out at about 80/60. This past Monday the home health nurse came to change my PICC line dressing and draw my labs, and my blood pressure was 138/94. We both thought that is was a fluke since she had just been here on Friday and I was still at my normal, low reading. She tested it 3 more times during her visit, both manually and with a monitor, all coming back at about the same reading. She immediately called my OB's office to report this since it was such a drastic change from where I had been. They called me back and ordered a 24 hour collection to check for protein in my urine - protein in the urine is the one definitive diagnostic tool for pre-eclampsia. I got the results today, and I did test positive. At this point it is just "moderate" and does not warrant immediate delivery.
For now, we are still planning delivery for July 13th, however there is a very good chance that it may be sooner. I have 2 appointments next week with my OB's colleague (who, by the way, he brought in to meet us today saying that "he will be delivering the baby depending on how things go while I am gone on vacation"), have to do another 24 hour collection to see if the levels are increasing, as well as additional lab draws that need to be done.
This is all too familiar, as this is what happened when I was pregnant with Brayden. I just thought/was hopeful that having gone through all of this HG stuff that I might actually get spared from this. On the bright side, I got this with Brayden at 32 weeks along and had to deliver him at 35.5 weeks. I am already 35 weeks, so even if this were to progress quickly, Rhylan will be just as "cooked" as Brayden was- and Brayden was fine after a short NICU stay, and no long term effects from being early. We shall see how it all plays out- My hunch is that I will progress more quickly than I did with Brayden just because of how quickly it came out of nowhere this time (literally over a weekend), whereas with him it was gradual and we had warning signs for weeks before I actually tested positive.
2 comments:
Let's just both get this over with now!!! I'm so ready too... I'm sorry you are on bed rest.. it's good that Bray is out of town anyway.. you can REALLY rest.. wish I could.. Evie is running the house right now!
I'll see you soon!
Post a Comment