Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rhylan Grier Atkisson is Here!

Rhylan Grier Atkisson was born last night,

June 29th, at 8:17.
He weighs 5 lbs. 9 oz., 19.5 inches long.

As I said in my last post, I had developed pre-eclampsia earlier this week, and things turned really bad, really quickly. I first showed signs on Monday, diagnosed Wednesday, and yesterday the doctor deemed it necessary that the baby be born immediately. Jason had called his office to report on my status yesterday morning- my blood pressure had risen some more, I had the worst headache I have ever had, and was seeing flashing lights and black floaters. He had decided to call because he was getting ready to leave for the weekend for a baseball tournament and my OB was leaving for vacation until 7/12, so he just wanted to touch base.

The doctor personally called me back at about 2 yesterday afternoon and said that my worsening symptoms, combined with blood work that had he had ordered on Thursday coming back with alarming results, he thought that it was time to deliver for my well being, and the baby's. He had us come into his office, but had instructed me to come with my bag packed. I was really kind of in a fog, and couldn't believe my ears. As much as I was ready for this pregnancy to be over, I was a little nervous about only being 35 weeks along.

All went well with my c-section, and Jason and I were the happiest people on earth when we heard a strong, healthy cry!! (Brayden had spent 4 days in NICU after being born emergency c-section, also from pre-eclpamsia, at 36 weeks, so I thought for sure this little guy would as well.)Rhylan was taken directly to the regular nursery, and is doing beautifully. My sister had gotten into town about the time I was sent to the hospital, and they allowed her to be in the surgery along with Jason, which was really neat to be able to have her share in this experience.

I am feeling very well- a little sore from surgery, and tired, but that is to be expected. My hyperemesis symptoms have already subsided, and I have had 3 meals today- all of which have stayed down! They were actually able to pull my PICC line this evening- such a wonderful feeling! I felt like singing a few rounds of the chorus to the theme from Pinnochio: "I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, to make me frown......". It is such a great feeling after being attached to tubes of some sort or another coming out of me since early January!! And although the pre-eclampsia came on so quickly and furiously, all symptoms of that have already subsided as well.

I feel like a whole new woman, so happy to be back, and so blessed to have everything turn out the way it has. I truly hope to be able to take this life changing experience that I (and my family) have been through and turn it into something positive, find a way to help others and/or raise awareness about this condition- so that in the future maybe one less person will have to go through it.

Rhylan is doing beautifully. He is a really good baby so far. We had a few signs of some feeding issues, but I requested to see a lactation consultant, and she spent quite a bit of time with us this afternoon. She is going to continue to work with us and he actually has nursed quite well 4 times tonight. It is very common for babies this early to have feeding issues- they are supposed to still be in utero, so they tend to be more interested in sleep than eating! But if that is the biggest obstacle we have to work through, then I have nothing to complain about. We are truly, truly blessed to have had the happy ending that we have had. I really do believe in the power of prayer/positive thinking that so many people have been sending our way- Thank you to all of you! We made it- as a happy, healthy family of four!!

I will update more when I am not so tired. Right now I am going to try to get an hour or so of sleep before his next feeding. Here are a few pictures of our new bundle though:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful!! I hope to leave our hospital room to come visit you and Rhylan! I'm so happy you two are doing so well.

Christie said...

He is so beautiful! You are absolutely glowing! Congratulations and warmest wishes on your blessing!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you! He is beautiful, and thank God that everyone is doing well!

Tina said...

YAY!!! So glad that you are feeling better... He is just perfect!