It hasn't happened much during this pregnancy, so I am very excited to post some good news!!
I had my weekly labs drawn on Monday. The first part of this happy news is that they were actually able to pull my blood from my PICC line, like they are supposed to do. Last week they couldn't get any blood return, and were thinking that one of my lines may have gone bad already. So, that was wonderful!
Then yesterday, the pharmacist from the Home Health Agency called me. He is the one that actually mixes up and formulates my TPN based on how my labs come back in. (It isn't a cut and dry formula- everyone needs something different based on their nutritional levels.) Last week there was talk of having to re-formulate AND have me run the TPN 24 hours a day to try to get my nutritional/electrolyte levels, as well as my blood sugar up as it has been very, very low. I really wasn't big on the idea of being hooked up to (what feels like) my 500 lb., noisy backpack 24 hours a day. So, he and my doctor agreed to re-formulate and see how I did for the week. When he called yesterday he said that my labs look "really, really good"! Yipee!! I haven't had that kind of news this whole pregnancy! So, I will stay on the TPN I am on now, and still at 12 hours a day unless something else changes. (The only thing he said that concerned him was that I am "still" anemic- which I didn't even know that I was anemic to begin with.... but I guess that is to be expected at this point with all that has gone on.)
In the almost 3 weeks since getting the PICC line placed, I have gained 9 lbs., had more energy, and have even been able to get out of the house a little bit here and there- not alone, obviously. I haven't had an episode of losing consciousness in almost 2 weeks, and the feeling like I am going to has become much less frequent. Talk about a mental pick me up if nothing else! I wish that they would have placed this line a long time ago! It doesn't do anything for the nausea and vomiting, nor do I feel "normal", but what a vast and wonderful improvement. I guess that adequate nutrition isn't all that over-rated after all :)!
2 comments:
Halleluiah (did I spell that right?) Anyway, who cares! Glad to hear something is getting better. Hopefully it's all uphill from here. Now that you're gaining, I expect to see more belly pictures!
Love ya always,
Samara
This is great news! I just pray that the remainder of your pregnancy goes smoothly and that things keep getting better.
Post a Comment