Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tomorrow is a New Day

After 3+ years of Brayden being at his "school", he will be starting at a new one tomorrow. It comes with a heavy heart, and very strong emotions to make this move. Things have taken a dramatic swing at the school where we have been, and we have been contemplating a move for a few weeks. Last week he came home with a note saying that the director was leaving, this Thursday, with only a week's notice. We figured that our inner voices were right, and we better start looking around at other options.

This was all the harder of a choice for us, as we had deliberated over the decision to send him to kindergarten, or hold him back, for so long, and with so much turmoil. We were at peace with making the choice to hold him back, and continue him where he had been, and now he has to make a move from the place that he knows, and loves. ARGH.... typical for our world. I have had several people ask if it is too late to just put him in kindergarten, but that wasn't an option for us. The decision was already made to wait until next year (because of his late birthday, him still napping, everything going on with my family- not the way to start kindergarten, etc), and starting him 3 weeks into the school year is even less of an option for us.

I took the day yesterday to tour several area pre-kindergarten and private kindergartens, taking Brayden with me. I figure he is old enough, and understands enough of what is going on, that his opinion needed to be weighed in the decision. I honestly think that he could have been happy at any of them (we are blessed with a pretty flexible kid), but we came home and made a pros and cons list for all of them. After going through the lists, he made his choice, and I made mine--- and they were both for the same place.

After nap yesterday, we went to drop off the paperwork at his new school, and pick up his belongings at his old school. He was so excited to go to the new school again, and talk to the teachers a bit more. But, then, when we went to his (now) former school, the tears started rolling: "I changed my mind Mommy, I don't want a new school. I love my old school, I want to stay here".

Tomorrow morning, our little guy will wake up to a whole new world. He isn't the type of kid that shows anxiety over change, but I have seen a different side to him over this. I know he will be fine, it will just take a little bit of time to adapt to the changes.

Wish him luck!! It's a big change for a little guy.

No comments: